The Protection from Abuse Order or the PFA is an order that is issued in favor of victims of domestic violence. This helps them to stay safe from their abusers. The temporary PFA that is issued by the court is also called the stay-away order or a restraining order. If a PFA is issued against you, you will not be able to contact the person who has requested the court to issue it. To receive protection from abuse order in Pennsylvania, you need to have the right attorney working with you.
What will the order do?
You need to understand the specifics of your situation if you want to understand the potential of the order. The restraining order can normally dictate you to:
- Get evicted from your apartment or home if the person who took out the order against you lives in the same house.
- Keep you away from returning to your home, job, or even school.
- Give the complete yet temporary custody or visitation of your children to the person who took out the order against you.
- Prevent you from possessing or owning a firearm.
The violation can result in jail time
If you already have a restraining order issued against you, you must read it very carefully. You might be subjected to a criminal record or jail time if you violate the order in any way. You might also be issued a fine amount.
Who is eligible to request a stay order?
The main aim of the PFA is to reduce the rate of abuses happening between spouses, lovers, household members, intimate partners, or even parents living with their children. A person who files for a PFA must not be filing it for themselves. They can file it on behalf of a family member or a minor. This order will be granted if:
- You have injured the person who has requested it.
- You have tried to injure the person who has requested it.
- If the person who is requesting the order is fearful that you might hurt them.
- If you are stopping the person from free movement.
- If you have been abusing or have abused a minor.
- If you are stalking a person and they are afraid of harm.
The right lawyer is going to guide you all the way through and help you get your matter sorted at the earliest.
To read more on topics like this, check out the Lifestyle category